Northern Connecticut Girls' Softball League
1999 SEASON SUMMARY
The Northern Connecticut Girls' Softball League made two major changes to its organization prior to the 1999 season. For uniformity, it was decided to become A.S.A. registered and insured when it became apparent that the league would continue to exist based on the positive response from the member towns. Secondly, it was decided to run two A.S.A. age groups, U-14 and U-16, to enable the member towns to offer competitive summer softball to both junior and senior high school aged players. Although now governed by A.S.A. Junior Olympic rules, our league amended those rules slightly in order to more closely duplicate C.I.A.C. competition.
Overall, the league expanded from ten to fourteen teams, six U-14 and eight U-16. Towns entering the league in '99 were Stafford, Vernon, Suffield and Hebron. Andover was unable to return and Enfield entered only two teams, one in each division, as did South Windsor and Somers. A total of 231 players were registered, up from 170 in 1998.
Final League Standings
U-16 Final Standings
U-14 Final Standings
|5||East Windsor||5||10||6 1/2
* *Players of the Week* *
- Week #1: Shanielle Danner, Enfield -Went 8 for 9 with 10 RBI as Enfield opens with two wins.
- Week #2: Maureen Gamache, South Windsor -Tripled twice among 5 hits in this week's games.
- Week #3: Stacey Collins, South Windsor -Went 8 for 8 with a double and a triple as team outscored its weeks' opponents by 41-9.
- Week #4: Jessica Doane, Suffield -Hit a 3-run homer to power Suffield to a 19-14 win over Ellington.
- Week #5: Ashley Killingbeck, South Windsor -Pitched a 3-hitter in a key win over Enfield.
- Week #6: Megan Cirigliano, Newington -Pitched a 3-hitter and went 4 for 4 with two doubles and a triple to lead Newington past undefeated Hebron.
- Week #7: Sarah Miller, Hebron -Had six hits and six RBI in week's games.
* * * N.C.G.S.L. 1999 U-16 Most Valuable Player - Sarah Miller, Hebron. * * *
- Weeks #1/#2: Beth Palmer, Somers -Hit a grandslam homer to break open a close game with East Windsor.
- Week #3: Julie Lech, East Windsor -Hit a 3-run homer in a 9-8 loss to Somers.
- Week #4: Michelle Reichert, Vernon -Pitched all four wins this week as Vernon improves to 7-2 and takes over second place in the standings.
- Week #5: Sara Szotak, Enfield -Homered twice and pitched the win at Somers to cap Enfield's 3-win week.
- Week #6: Rachel Clark, Somers -Led Somers to two wins with two doubles and a homerun.
- Week #7: Rachel Tautic, Enfield -Consistently good hitting to lead team's strong finish.
* * * N.C.G.S.L. 1999 U-14 Most Valuable Player - Sarabeth Thorne, Somers. * * *
* * All-Star Games * *
The NCGSL 1999 U-14 and U-16 All-Star games were played at Field Road Park in Somers on the evening of Friday, August 20th as a twi-night doubleheader. In the U-14 division, a team comprised of players from the 1st, 3rd and 5th place teams defeated a team of players from the 2nd, 4th and 6th place teams by a score of 6-0. The U-16 game was decided by a 15-7 score as a team of players from the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th place teams bested a team comprised of players from the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th place teams.
1999 U-14 All-Stars
1-3-5 Team (Coach - Rick Post, Somers)
Somers: Sarah Hills, Beth Palmer, Rachelle Proulx, Katie Skypek.
Enfield: Amber Lacivita, Amanda Michaud, Stephanie Montville, Kate Zuraw.
East Windsor: Julie Lech, Ashley O'Brien, Lindsay Raber, Erin Stoecker.
2-4-6 Team (Coach - Tom Gordon, Vernon)
Vernon: Tawny Boulanger, Catherine Carter, Shannon Clancy, Michelle Reichert, Marlene Rispoli.
South Windsor: Liz Harrison, Amber Hovland, Ashly Hovland, Danielle Spiro.
Tolland: Ashley Emerson, Laura Filipek, Danielle Ostien, Eileen Tanner.
1999 U-16 All-Stars
1-3-5-7 Team (Coach - John Danner, Enfield)
Newington: Megan Cirigliano, Shannon Roberts.
South Windsor: Shannon Firetto, Maureen Gamache, Ashley Killingbeck.
Enfield: Shanielle Danner, Kristy Farnan, Liz Mullin, Andrea Tarbox.
Ellington: Jessica Cosman, Daisy Scarlato, Kelly Wilson.
2-4-6-8 Team (Coach - John Brinkman, Hebron)
Hebron: Sue Gaber, Kristen Lukach, Sarah Miller.
Suffield: Emily Allen, Brittney Hinckley, Deedee Presser.
Somers: Kristine Anderson, Jen Slater, Denise Trubia.
Stafford: Kristy Beebe, Stephanie Kelley, Jessi Zeigler.
* * N.C.G.S.L. Class of '99 * *
The following 25 players participated in their final year of A.S.A. U-16 eligibility in the 1999 season.
Ellington: Katie Harrington.
Enfield: Melissa Duffy.
Hebron: Lindsay Adams, Catherine Brinkman, Kimberly Custance, Susan Gaber, Sarah Miller, Ginny Sullivan and Melanie Turgeon.
Newington: Alana Desroches, Jen McKinnon and Aimee Viens.
Somers: Nicole LaPlant, Melanie Nyquist and Jen Slater.
South Windsor: Chelsea Clyburn, Michelle Macchi and Andrea Zimmerman.
Stafford: Heidi Bard and Kristina Brooks.
Suffield: Heather Beaudoin, Jackie Berriman, Krystal Blanchette, Katie Block and Christine Muska.
Return to Home Page