Northern Connecticut Girls' Softball League
2000 SEASON SUMMARY
The league structure and membership changed only slightly from the previous year. The number of teams, six U-14 and eight U-16, remained the same. Somers repeated as U-14 regular season winners over the same towns that were represented in 1999. East Windsor won the U-14 tournament, winning 5 out of 6 games played, after ending their regular season with a 4-0 week. In U-16, Newington did not return and Vernon was added, becoming the fourth town with teams in both age groups. The U-16 league was also separated into two 4-team divisions, North and South. Enfield and Vernon finished first in their divisions and South Windsor took home the U-16 tournament trophies after an exciting final against Vernon.
Player registration for our third season decreased to 220 from 231 in 1999.
Final League Standings
U-16 Final Standings
|2||South Windsor||7||7||4 1/2||L1
U-14 Final Standings
|3||East Windsor||8||6||4 1/2||W4
* * Players of the Week * *
* * * N.C.G.S.L. 2000 U-16 Most Valuable Players - Lauren Person, Vernon and Sharon Woronecki, Suffield. * * *
- Week #1: Jessica Cosman, Ellington -Allowed one run and a total of three hits in pitching two complete games.
- Week #2: Caitlin Woods, Suffield -Had 2 RBI and made a key play on defense as Suffield defeated unbeaten South Windsor.
- Week #3: Michelle Reichert, Vernon -Pitched six scoreless innings and hit a game-winning 2-run homer to lead Vernon past South Windsor.
- Week #4: Amanda Turbide, Enfield -Had 4 hits and 5 RBI to lead Enfield to a 3-0 week with wins over Vernon, South Windsor and Stafford.
- Week #5: Allison Theilig, Hebron -Struck out a personal best 17 batters in a 3-1 victory over Stafford.
- Week #6: Amanda Turbide, Enfield -Led Enfield's offense with six hits, including grandslam and solo homeruns, and 9 RBI.
- Week #7: Amanda Boileau, South Windsor -Had six hits in two games and pitched effectively in relief.
* * * N.C.G.S.L. 2000 U-14 Most Valuable Player - Sarah Hills, Somers. * * *
- Week #1: Melissa Beane, South Windsor -Led defense that held oppenents to eight runs in two games.
- Week #2: Sarah Hills, Somers -Pitched Somers to wins over Tolland and Vernon, striking out 24 batters.
- Week #3: Amanda Karagianis, South Windsor -Led offense with three hits and was the winning pitcher in 19-4 win over Enfield.
- Week #4: Samantha Morrow, Tolland -Hit a grandslam homerun and three singles in back-to-back wins.
- Week #5: Sarah Hills, Somers -Pitched Somers to a 3-0 week, allowing a total of seven hits and striking out 35 batters. Somers outscored their opponents by a 53-5 margin.
- Week #6: Sherri Gandini, Vernon -Homered twice and tripled to lead Vernon past Enfield 40-10.
- Week #7: Julie Tetreault, East Windsor -Pitched East to two of their four wins this week, one a no-hitter, striking out a total of 25 batters.
* * All-Star Games * *
The NCGSL 2000 All-Star Games were played as a twi-light doubleheader on Friday, August 25th at Field Road Park in Somers. The U-14 game began at 6:00PM and featured a North Team (Somers/East Windsor/Enfield) against a South Team (Vernon/South Windsor/Tolland). The South Team prevailed by a score of 18-4. The U-16 game began shortly after the conclusion of the U-14 game with All-Stars from the North Division versus All-Stars from the South Division. A South rally in the 9th inning fell just short as the North won 7-5. All participating players received medallions to commemorate this concluding event of the 2000 NCGSL season.
2000 U-14 All-Stars
North Team (Coach - Dean Hills, Somers)
Enfield: Alyssa Cannella, Katie Dumoulin, Danielle Dwyer and Dawn Ezold.
East Windsor: Julie Lech, Ashley O'Brien, Erin Stoecker and Julie Tetreault.
Somers: Jen Brown, Sarah Hills, Katie Skypek and Melissa Vamvilis.
South Team (Coach - Mark Lassman, South Windsor)
South Windsor: Melissa Beane, Amanda Karagianis, Christine Lemieux, Jen Wallace and Jenna White.
Tolland: Rachel Fain, Larissa Jesanis, Laura Konikowski and Danielle Ostien.
Vernon: Sherri Gandini, Mary Gordon, Rachel Laster and Kaylee Santuccio.
2000 U-16 All-Stars
North Team (Coach - Bob Michaud, Enfield)
Enfield: Amanda Michaud, Stephanie Montville and Andrea Tarbox.
Somers: Sarah Hills, Noreen Kelly, Ashley Mazzoli and Sarabeth Thorne.
Stafford: Tori Butler, Erica Norcross and Jessi Zeigler.
Suffield: Emily Allen and Moira Cahill.
South Team (Coach - Tom Gordon, Vernon)
Ellington: Jessica Cosman, Christine Frank and Daisy Scarlato.
Hebron: Lindsay Christensen, Allison Theilig and Alex West.
South Windsor: Amanda Boileau, Stacy Collins and Jess Oliva.
Vernon: Tawny Boulanger, Catherine Carter and Lauren Person.
* * N.C.G.S.L. Class of '00 * *
The following 29 players participated in their final year of A.S.A. U-16 eligibility during the 2000 season. Several are original members from 1998. We hope you have enjoyed summer softball with NCGSL and thank you and your families for your support.
Ellington: Cristin Chambers, Jessica Cosman, Michelle Dunn, Sara Hodgdon, Courtney Metsch, Daisy Scarlato, Amy Tripp and Kelly Wilson.
Enfield: Carrie Reynolds, Clare Rubino and Amanda Turbide.
Hebron: Megan Aldridge, Lindsay Christensen, Allison Clark and Alex West.
Somers: Michelle Pac.
South Windsor: Maureen Gamache, Megan Jones, Ashley Killingbeck and Kelly Niederwerfer.
Stafford: Kristy Beebe, Stephanie Kelley, Chrissy Minor, Melissa Morrison and Erica Norcross.
Suffield: Britney Hinckley, Kristy Orr and Sharon Woronecki.
Vernon: Shannon Nelson.
Return to Home Page