Northern Connecticut Girls' Softball League
** 2002 U-14 League Tournament **
The 2002 NCGSL U-14 league tournament was held at Vernon Center Middle School on Saturday and Sunday, August 3rd and 4th. Pool play on Saturday with two groups of four teams determined seeding for Sunday's single-elimination bracket.
Saturday's Results (see photos)
Session 1 Games:
Ellington 10, South Windsor 0.
Manchester 9, Somers 6.
Vernon 6, Enfield1 2.
Session 2 Games:
Simsbury 17, Suffield 4.
Vernon 16, Somers 0.
Enfield1 15, Manchester 2.
Lunch Break / Awards and Contests(see photos)
- National Anthem sung by Ellington X-Tremes.
- NCGSL 2002 U-14 M.V.P. Award: Alyssa Skewes, Ellington (right).
- Trophies for 2nd Place (Regular Season): Enfield1 Fireballs.
- Trophies for 1st Place (Regular Season): Ellington X-Tremes.
- Baserunning Contest: 1st - Mallory Householder, Ellington; 2nd - Jackie O'Brien, South Windsor; 3rd - Regina Falkowski, Enfield1.
- Throwing Contest: 1st - Rachel Laster, Vernon; 2nd - Heidi Smith, Manchester; 3rd - Jen Thresher, Suffield.
- Hitting Contest: 1st - Kyleen Klement, Enfield; 2nd - Amy Hartman, Ellington; 3rd - Melissa Rebai, Vernon.
Session 3 Games:
South Windsor 15, Suffield 8.
Ellington 8, Simsbury 8 (tie).
Enfield1 12, Somers 8.
Session 4 Games:
Ellington 14, Suffield 5.
Manchester 5, Vernon 4.
Simsbury 6, South Windsor 2.
Sunday's Schedule - Single Elimination
Quarter-Finals A (8:30AM):
#1 Ellington 4, #8 Suffield 0.
#4 Enfield1 8, #5 Manchester 5.
Quarter-Finals B (10:30AM):
#2 Simsbury 21, #7 Somers 7. (see photos)
#3 Vernon 4, #6 South Windsor 0. (see photos)
#4 Enfield1 12, #1 Ellington 3.
#3 Vernon 8, #2 Simsbury 1.
Championship Game (see photos)
Vernon 6, Enfield1 2. Vernon and Enfield1 squared off in their third game of the day in sweltering heat. Enfield scored on an RBI single by Kyleen Klement in the first inning. Vernon answered with an RBI single by Rachel Laster. The game was tied at 2-2 when Rebecca Mattern put Vernon ahead to stay with a long sacrifice fly in the 4th inning. Catcher Amanda Viens stifled two potential Enfield threats by picking baserunners off first base in the later innings. Mary Gordon pitched the complete game victory. Lauren Miles and Kim Collins both pitched well to keep Enfield in the game.
Coached by Shannon Clancy and Jess Cosman, the Vernon roster also included Kathleen Babcock, Danielle Baker, Dana Carpenter, Kelly Cocco, Samantha Coyle, Ashleigh Henri, Desirae Hewitt, Alyssa Hoyt, Amber Hoyt, Hannah Koch, Stephanie Lee, Katie McKinnon, Eliza Paterson and Lisa Riendeau.
*** CONGRATULATIONS VERNON - NCGSL 2002 U-14 TOURNAMENT WINNERS ***
Return to 2002 Season Summary
Return to Home Page