Northern Connecticut Girls' Softball League
** 2003 U-14 League Tournament **
The 2003 NCGSL U-14 league tournament was held the weekend of August 2nd - 3rd at Field Road Park in Somers. Pool play on Saturday with three groups of four teams determined seeding for Sunday's single-elimination bracket. The groups were determined by final standings in the regular season as (1-6-7-12), (2-5-8-11) and (3-4-9-10). Inclement weather Saturday morning and availability of playable fields scratched the original tournament plan but all pool games were able to be played. The regular season awards ceremony and player contests, usually at mid-Saturday, were moved to Sunday at 11:00AM.
Saturday's Results (see photos)
Session 1 Games:
South Windsor 17, Ellington 3.
Manchester Blue 16, East Windsor 3.
Suffield 11, West Hartford 3.
Somers 8, Manchester Red Devils 5.
Enfield 7, East Hartford 0 (F).
Session 2 Games:
Vernon 8, Marlborough 6.
Enfield 14, Somers 6.
Manchester Blue 6, South Windsor 3.
East Windsor 12, Ellington 5.
Manchester Red Devils 7, East Hartford 0 (F).
Session 3 Games:
Vernon 16, West Hartford 6.
Suffield 10, Marlborough 2.
Enfield 9, Manchester Red Devils 0.
Manchester Blue 8, Ellington 2.
Somers 7, East Hartford 0 (F).
Session 4 Games:
Marlborough 16, West Hartford 4.
South Windsor 15, East Windsor 10.
Suffield 12, Vernon 2.
Order of Finish in Pool Play: (1) Enfield (3-0), (2) Suffield (3-0), (3) Manchester Blue (3-0), (4) South Windsor (2-1), (5) Somers (2-1), (6) Vernon (2-1), (7) Manchester Red Devils (1-2), (8) Marlborough (1-2), (9) East Windsor (1-2), (10) Ellington (0-3), (11) West Hartford (0-3) (Tie-breaker was total runs allowed).
Sunday's Results - Single Elimination (see photos)
First Round (9:00AM):
#6 Vernon 7, #11 West Hartford 0 (F).
#10 Ellington 10, #7 Manchester Red Devils 6.
#8 Marlborough 10, #9 East Windsor 6.
Regular Season Awards and Player Contests (11:00AM)
- National Anthem sung by the Marlborough team.
- Second-Place Regular Season Trophies - Vernon (Coach: Ted Koch).
- First-Place Regular Season Trophies - Enfield (Coach: Kevin Collins).
- NCGSL 2003 U-14 Co-M.V.P. Awards - Mallory Householder, Ellington (right-upper) and Kim Collins, Enfield (right-lower). Congratulations are also extended to the other nominees honored by their coaches and teammates: Abigail Rodriguez (East Hartford), Meagan Nelson (East Windsor), Katie Viara (Manchester Blue), Ashley Bilodeau (Manchester Red Devils), Rosie Boudreau (Marlborough), Mindy Oswell (Somers), Jacquie O'Brien (South Windsor), Taylor Bartini (Suffield), Hannah Koch (Vernon) and Rebecca Demers (West Hartford).
- Player Contests:
Baserunning: 1st - Jacquie O'Brien, South Windsor; 2nd - Amanda Blanchard, Ellington; 3rd - Danielle Baker, Vernon.
Throwing: 1st - Emily Savino, Ellington; 2nd - Megan Sullivan, Manchester Red Devils; 3rd - Jordan Barile, South Windsor.
Homerun Hitting: 1st - Michelle Milliken, Somers; 2nd - Amy Hartman, Ellington; 3rd - Megan Kradas, Enfield.
- 2003 U-14 Teams and Awards
#4 South Windsor 19, #5 Somers 5.
#3 Manchester Blue 8, #6 Vernon 2.
#2 Suffield 12, #10 Ellington 7.
#1 Enfield 10, #8 Marlborough 2.
Enfield 3, South Windsor 1. Kim Collins outpitched South's Kim Colla for the trip to the final. Barbara Kaplan's bases-loaded running catch ended a late inning South Windsor threat.
Manchester Blue 8, Suffield 6. Blue weathered a late Suffield surge on Katie Viara's game closing performance to go to the championship game.
Championship Game (see photos)
Manchester Blue 4, Enfield 3. Katie Viara and Co-MVP Kim Collins hooked up in a tight pitching duel in the final, the third game of the day for both. Manchester managed 4 runs in the first inning and made them stand up, holding on for an exciting tournament victory. Coached by Bob Viara, the Manchester Blue roster included Maura Bergan, Melanie Berman, Jenny Bunce, Marisa Conyers, Amy Howroyd, Katelyn Johnson, Rachel Kane, Sarah Kane, Carolyn Lodge, Lauren Orlowski, Annie Pagano, Ann Rosenstreich, Nicole Sapienza, Emma Scanlon, Heidi Smith, Jen Smith and Katie Viara.
* * Congratulations Manchester Blue - NCGSL 2003 U-14 Tournament Winners * *
* The Tournament Director would like to specifically thank the following individuals for their large contributions in making this event a success: Lee Oswell (Somers), Denise Oswell (Somers), Mike Gandini (Vernon), Dean Hills (Somers) and Mark Stoecker (East Windsor). Many thanks also to the coaches and parents who donated their time to operating the concession. *
Return to 2003 Season Summary
Return to Home Page